Battery storage is an exciting new technology, but there are lots of questions to consider when you are looking for a system for your home or business.
Installing a battery storage system can provide several benefits when used in conjunction with an existing or new solar panel system.
Choosing the right system for you
Your retailer/designer will help you choose a system appropriate for your requirements. This will depend on your energy use and tariff, the size of your solar panel system and what you want from the system.
Some questions to think about and discuss when choosing a system include:
- What is the total installed cost of the battery storage system versus the expected output over its lifetime?
- What can you afford?
- What system best suits your tariff structure?
- Do you have an appropriate space to install the battery?
- Can the battery store and supply enough energy for your needs?
- Is the supplier a reputable company that can deliver on any potential warranty claims?
- Do you have any safety concerns?
- Can the battery be recycled?
In addition, questions to think about when choosing the right size battery include:
- What do you want to use the battery for (e.g. backup for blackouts, saving money)?
- How much energy do you use between battery charges (both now and in the future)?
- How much power do you need to run your appliances?
- How much excess energy do you generate from your solar panels each day?
If you stay connected to the electricity grid, you can continue to use your appliances to suit your lifestyle. Your energy needs will be met through the combination of grid electricity and your solar and battery storage system.